Crappy day sconesPosted: October 27, 2010
Sure is ugly out. Made some scones. What else are ya gonna do?
Cream scones with currants
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar plus extra for tops
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1/4 cup currants
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup heavy cream plus extra for brushing
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour with sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl.
- Toss the butter with the flour mixture to coat
- Using your fingers, rub in the butter until the mixture is like a coarse meal.
- Add the currants and zest and mix
- Beat the egg with the cream and stir into flour mixture to make a loose dough
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a 6″ round
- Cut into 8 wedges and place on baking sheet leaving space between
- Brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar
- Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes